Monday, February 6, 2012

Pattern of the Day


Today's pattern of the day is the super-rare Originator 383 being sold by ErikaWithaK Vintage.

RARE 1950s Originator 383 Vintage Sewing Pattern - Wide Neck Slim Skirted Dress with Tie Waist Detail - 30 Bust

I don't know about you, but I was totally born in the wrong decade.
If you don't know much about originator patterns, there's a really good reason these little gems are so hard to find. They weren't really mass-produced like Advance, Butterick, McCall's, Simplicity and Vogue were.

Originator only started out as a sort of "trade only" fashion news service. They provided subscribers like seamstresses and designers with current fashion sketches. It wasn't until the late 1940's that they started offering patterns to go along with their designs. Look at the price tag: $1.50 in the early 1950's. An advance pattern at the same time sold for $0.35. Not everyone could afford them, and even fewer had the skill to sew them.

If you want to see more of what originator had to offer at the time, check out Don't Sass Me on etsy who has an amazing collection of Originator pattern catalogs digitized as PDF's for the price of a latte.

7 comments:

  1. I had never heard of Originator before, but are these patterns ever gorgeous! Browsing through Etsy and eBay, I always wonder how people knew if they had a "rare" pattern (and therefor priced accordingly) on their hands. Knowing that some companies like Originator did not mass produce their patterns does explain a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! they're amazing *___*

    http://alicecloset-sewing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both patterns are breathtaking! Like you, I too feel I was born in the wrong decade...but not to worry as I'm making it my "business" to recreate those beautiful garments for folk "just like us"! Thanks for bringing those two designs to the internet! BTW, I'm anxiously awaiting my Estevez - I've got lovely fabric awaiting :-)...GaleGalen Vintage...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing patterns, I love the details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way the dress in the middle buttons up one way then switches the other way at the neck. FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love them all! Will check out the PDFs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have never heard of these. Thanks so much for sharing this link. I will definitely have to get a few just to drool over.

    ReplyDelete