Friday, February 24, 2012

Ohh La La Pin Up Sew Along... Lace overlay is pretty... and optional.


The pattern we're using...

Today I'm going to show you how to do a lace overlay on your corset. This is an optional embellishment; I'm using it to overlay only three panels in the corset for contrast, pattern piece 1 and 3.


First cut out your main fabric just like you normally would. I'm using some vintage satin I've had waiting for a pretty lingerie project like this and less than 1/2 yard of 5" wide cream vintage lace.


I found another random pattern weight option. Money, or more particularly, heavy 5, 10, and 20 kroner coins. They weigh roughly the same as euro coins and silver dollars and they work great!


 For the front panel, piece #1, open it up and lay your lace over it. If you have a pattern that you want to center, do that and then pin the lace in place to your bottom fabric, smoothing but not stretching the lace.
Cut out your lace.



Pin well as your lace, especially if it's a lot of net like mine, can stretch and shift quite a bit. You'll want to stitch your pieces together in a particular direction. Start at the inside of the point and stitch to the outer point in each direction, then sew the top closed.


 Do the same with any additional pieces that you would like to have overlay.

Here I have the lace cut on the double to get two pieces exactly alike for my sides.

 And you've finished this step! Great work, you deserve a glass of wine!


Or, if you've totally botched it, that's what whiskey is for. Have some of that!


Next up, side seams!

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the whiskey, but then I wouldn't be able to sew a lick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am a fan of whisky, but haven't started sewing yet, so I don't believe I deserve any . . . for now. But there are other reasons to treat myself to a helping.

    ReplyDelete